About the LEAP Program
Leadership Southern Maryland’s Emerging Leaders (LEAP) program provides educational programming opportunities to new or emerging leaders in our region. Through a series of six “experiences”, young leaders will facilitate, foster, and refine their individual leadership understanding and abilities via structured course curriculum and a focus on self-discovery, teamwork, and networking.
Who Should Apply
The class size for LEAP will be limited to 25 participants. Applicants will be selected based on the information provided in the application.
- Live OR work in Calvert, Charles, or St. Mary’s County
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a minimum of three years of work experience
- Demonstrate community involvement
- Have full support of the organization the applicant represents
Candidates accepted into this program will be expected to fully participate in each of the six “experiences” generally from 8:30am until 5:00pm. In addition, service projects will be completed outside of classroom hours. Attendance is expected at all LEAP program sessions, those who miss more than one (1) program day (8 total hours) will be ineligible to complete the program and will forfeit their tuition.
Class of 2020 Experience Dates
- January 17, 2020: Orientation
- February 21, 2020: Mentorship, Diversity, and Team Building Session
- July 17, 2020: Communication and the Multi-Generational Workplace Session
- August 21, 2020: Ethics and Stewardship
- September 25, 2020 – Resiliency, Conflict, and Change Management Session
- October 23, 2020 -Capstone and Graduation Session
Class of 2021 Experience Dates
- January 15, 2021: Packet Pickup/Orientation
- January 22, 2021: What Makes a Leader?
- February 26, 2021: Mentorship, Diversity, and Team Building Session
- March 26, 2021: Communication and the Multi-Generational Workplace Session
- April 23, 2021: Ethics and Stewardship Session
- May 21, 2021: Resiliency, Conflict, and Change Management Session
- June 18, 2021: Capstone and Graduation Session
- July 30, 2020 at 5:00pm, Willows Recreation Center, Lexington Park, in coordination with St. Mary’s Young Professionals
- August 18, 2020 at 8:30am, via Zoom.
- August 26, 2020 at 5:00pm, Virtual Session, in coordination with the Young Professionals Group of Charles County, MD.
- September 1, 2020 at 5:00pm, via Zoom.
How to Apply
Applications opened June 15 and must be received by September 25 to be considered for the 2021 class. There is a non-refundable application fee of $125. To be considered complete, an application package must include the following:
- Application via LSM portal
- Picture (1.3MB or higher)
- Professional Bio (250 words or less)
- Professional Resume
- Letter of recommendation – the letter should speak to your leadership experience, character, ability to affect change, competencies, and attributes
- Official authorizing statement, if employer is paying tuition
- $125 application fee
Pay for LSM LEAP Application Fee
Class of 2021 Tuition is $1,950 per participant by check or $2,150 by credit card. Applicants may secure the sponsorship of a business/organization to pay the tuition. Payment plans are available and arrangements may be made with the LSM office.
Pay for LSM LEAP Tuition