About the Executive Program
The Executive Program is Leadership Southern Maryland’s (LSM) flagship program. It is a highly interactive and life-enriching nine-month course that makes a significant contribution to Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary’s Counties’ well-being by providing intensive hands-on study and in-depth discussion of current issues facing the Southern Maryland region, including, housing & human services, education, public safety, energy, environment, defense, economic development, and multiculturalism.
How Individuals Benefit
- Better equips them to effect positive change because they gain a greater understanding of the unique forces that make up the region
- Allows them to examine their own values, philosophies and beliefs
- Builds trust, rapport and networks among people with different views and gives limitless opportunities to network with over 350 graduates and other regional leaders.
- Expands the learning by giving them an opportunity to provide team-based, direct volunteer service to a local non-profit. Participants will deepen their knowledge of regional issues, supply a nonprofit with extra expertise and manpower to complete a needed project, and allow for small-group team building.
Who Should Apply
Approximately 35 participants are selected based upon the information provided in the application to represent our culturally, ethnically, socially, economically and geographically diverse region. The Selection Committee identifies those individuals who will use their leadership for the long-term benefit of their community and LSM.
Applicants must live OR work in Calvert, Charles, or St. Mary’s County and:
- Show sincere concern about the future of the region and commitment to help shape its future
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership through past and present community activities
- Possess capacity for leadership through significant achievements relevant to age and experience
- Be willing to commit the time and energy necessary to complete the program (see below)
- Have the full support of the organization or business that the applicant represents
After the program year is over, class members join the network of over 350 graduates and participants of the LSM Executive program and are expected to maintain a lifelong membership in the organization and serve as catalysts for a stronger community through continuing involvement in regional and LSM activities.
Candidates accepted into the program are expected to fully participate in all nine sessions (typically a Thursday) from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. In addition, team service projects will be completed outside the classroom hours. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are awarded by the College of Southern Maryland at the completion of the program for those who’ve met the full program commitment.
Program Dates and Session Agendas
The program begins with an orientation in September and each month the group’s focus shifts to a new topic and a session is held. The LSM class will travel to a location(s) within Southern Maryland that relates to that month’s topic of discussion. These field trips offer experiential learning and a sense of collaboration. Each class shares the experience in it’s own unique way.
The region’s shared challenges and opportunities are explored through looking at critical community issues such as Public Safety, Education, Healthcare, Housing & Human Services, Defense, Economic & Workforce Development, Energy & the Environment, and Diversity.
Each date is a link to the session packet as participants progress through the experience.
- September 9 & 10, 2019 – Orientation Retreat (Mandatory)
- October 3, 2019 – Economic & Workforce Development Session
- November 7, 2019 – Defense & Industry Session
- December 5, 2019 – Education Session
- January 9, 2020 – Healthcare Session
- February 6, 2020 – Housing & Human Services Session
- March 5, 2020 – Public Safety Session
- April 2, 2020 – Multiculturalism & Diversity Session
- April 23-24, 2020 – Energy & Environment Session
- May 7, 2020 – CLOSING RETREAT & GRADUATION: 7:30 am to 5 pm
Class of 2021 Session Dates
The sesssion dates for the Class of 2021 are coming soon!. Participation is critical to the success of the Executive Program. Class members are expected to make every effort to attend all sessions. Missing two sessions prevents a participant from receiving continuing education credits and graduating from the LSM program.
How to Apply
Applications are open begining January 1 and must be received by April 1 to be considered for the fall class. There is a non-refundable application fee of $250 for applications submitted by February 28, 2019. Beginning March 1, the application fee will be $300. To learn more about the application process, click HERE
Tuition for each participant is $3,950 by check or $4,250 by credit card. Applicants may secure the sponsorship of a business/organization to pay the tuition. Tuition may be paid online or by mailing a check to Leadership Southern Maryland, P. O. Box 524, Leonardtown, MD 20650.
Pay for LSM Tuition:
About Application Fees and Tuition
Application fees are non-refundable. Tuition payment plans may be arranged and limited tuition assistance is available based on need. To apply for financial aid, submit a letter of need by the deadline to email@example.com. Application deadline is April 1.
For more information, contact (301) 862-SOMD to talk to the Executive Director, Denise Foster, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.